Duluth City Councilor Arik Forsman has announced his decision to run for re-election. Forsman initially shared his heartfelt choice not to seek another term in February. However, after extensive reflection and countless discussions with community members encouraging him to reconsider, he’s concluded that his work in public service is not yet finished, and he’s ready to continue serving the city he loves with the full support of his family.
“It turns out I needed a vacation more than I needed to leave the office,” said Forsman. “The stakes are too high in this election for Duluthians. I’m ready to fight for what matters and move our city forward with you. Today I humbly announce my intent to run for re-election after all and offer Duluth a voice of reason on the ballot this August and November.”
Forsman’s decision to run for re-election comes as a direct response to the overwhelming support and encouragement he received from the community. The outpouring of endorsements and expressions of faith in his leadership touched him and reinforced his belief in the impact he can still make as a city councilor.
Forsman said, “My decision to run for re-election wasn’t made lightly. I’ve listened to folks from across our community over the past three months, and it’s become clear to me that I still have much more to offer. I’m honored and humbled by the early support I’ve received, and I’m committed to building upon my first five years on the job in a time of significant turnover for the council.”
With an impressive track record and a deep understanding of the issues facing Duluth, Forsman has established himself as a passionate advocate for his constituents. During his tenure, he’s championed many important initiatives, including:
- Boosting police officer pay and firefighter training budgets to retain our best and brightest public safety professionals
- Creating innovative new ideas that increased childcare access in Duluth while earning national recognition for his work in the Washington Post
- Co-leading the task force that charted a course for Spirit Mountain out of financial crisis and back to profitability
- Working behind the scenes to save projects like Costco, community events like the Memorial Day Parade, and businesses like a child care center in Lakeside
- Voting to create thousands of new housing units and protecting thousands of acres of treasured park lands
Forsman will officially announce his re-election on the steps of City Hall on Thursday at noon. Forsman’s campaign theme, “Our Voice of Reason,” will highlight his no-nonsense approach to the work of city council, which include his vision for prioritizing new investments to support Duluth’s kids, his unwavering support for protecting police and fire budgets, and how he’ll keep getting the job done.
For more information, Duluthians can visit the campaign, Facebook Page Arik Forsman, Duluth City Councilor at Large.